Seminar by Prof. Thalappil Pradeep
You are welcome to listen to a talk by Prof. Thalappil Pradeep on 17th August at 13.00 in lecture hall Ke2 (Kemistintie 1).
Prof. Pradeep is an Institute Professor at the Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai, India. He has authored 390 scientific papers in journals and is an inventor of over 70 patents or patent applications.
The title of the talk is "Reactions between nanoparticles". The abstract of the talk is given below:
Atom and structure conserving chemical reactions between nanoparticles are presented using atomically precise archetypal nanoparticles.[1,2] More recent of these is the reaction between Ag25(SR)18 and Au25(SR)18 (-SR = alkyl/aryl thiolate). Despite their geometric robustness and electronic stability, reactions between them in solution produce alloys AgmAun(SR)18 (m+n = 25), keeping their M25(SR)18 composition, structure and topology intact. We captured one of the earliest events of the process, namely the formation of the dianionic adduct, [Ag25Au25(SR)36]2-, by electrospray ionization mass spectrometry. Molecular docking simulations and density functional theory (DFT) calculations also suggest that metal atom exchanges could occur through the formation of adducts. Such isomorphous transformations between nanoparticles imply that microscopic pieces of matter can be transformed completely to chemically different entities, preserving their structures, at least in the nanometric regime. Intercluster interactions can also produce cluster dimers and unusual, well-defined alloys. They reflect the shell structure of certain reactants. Atom exchanges suggest interesting dynamics in solution, early results of these investigations will be presented.
- K. R. Krishnadas, Atanu Ghosh, Ananya Baksi, Indranath Chakraborty, Ganapati Natarajan and T. Pradeep, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 138 (2016) 140.
- K. R. Krishnadas, A. Baksi, A. Ghosh, G. Natarajan, T. Pradeep, Nat. Commun. 2016, 7, 13447.
- A. Baksi, P. Chakraborty, S. Bhat, G. Natarajan, T. Pradeep, Chem. Commun. 2016, 52, 8397.
- S. Bhat, A. Baksi, S. Mudedla, G. Natarajan, V. Subramanian, T. Pradeep, J. Phys. Chem. Lett., 2017, 8, 2787.
- K. R. Krishnadas, A. Baksi, A. Ghosh, G. Natarajan, T. Pradeep, ACS Nano 2017, 11, 6015.
- K. R. Krishnadas, A. Baksi, A. Ghosh, G. Natarajan, A. Som, T. Pradeep, Acc. Chem. Res. 2017 (DOI:10.1021/acs.accounts.7b00224). (Article ASAP).